Category: Community

Not In My Neighbor’s Front Yard

The 3,000-square-feet of synthetic turf installed at 4321 Overhill Drive costs $32,000. (Photo: Denny Carreker)

Synthetic turf has come a long way since the Brady Bunch and the Astrodome, but not improved enough to satisfy Highland Park town council member Margo Goodwin.

“I don’t want artificial turf next to me,” she said. “To me plastic is plastic and not natural looking like Highland Park.”

Bushes React to Death of Ruth Altshuler

FROM LEFT: Ruth Altshuler stands with Pi Beta Phi grand president Paula Shepherd in 2015.

UPDATE: A live webcast of a memorial service Thursday to honor renowned civic and philanthropic leader Ruth Altshuler will be available at smu.edu/live.

Ruth Altshuler, a Dallas icon of leadership and philanthropy, died Friday at age 93.

News of her death drew reaction from the likes of the Bushes, Troy Aikman, and former Dallas Police Chief David Brown, who tweeted, “Our prayers are with her.”

Former President George W. Bush and former First Lady Laura Bush issued a statement on Saturday.

“We are heartbroken by the loss of our dear friend, Ruth Altshuler,” they said. “Dallas has lost an outstanding civic leader in Ruth. Ruth taught us the lessons of philanthropy, service, and friendship. She was charming, humble, talented, generous, and funny. We loved being with her, and we will miss her.”

Women in the World Takes Stage in Dallas

Co-hosted by Toyota and journalist, Tina Brown, the Women in the World live event series took the Dallas stage Dec. 4 at the Dallas Museum of Art. The event honored Maxeme Tuchman as the newest recipient of Toyota's Mother of Invention award grant and featured an inspirational lineup of speakers.

Novelist Returns to Scene of the Drive

Bradley Spinelli. (Courtesy photo)

More than 20 years ago, Bradley Spinelli got his professional writing start publishing articles for People Newspapers while working as the delivery driver for Uptown People.

In November, he returned to Dallas for a reading of his most recent novel, The Painted Gun.

“Dallas is the first city that was truly ‘mine,’” Spinelli said. “Writing-wise, my first two novels were set in Dallas. That’s where I found my voice.”

UP Police Department Seeks Toys, Clothing for Children

University Park Police Department is seeking new toys and clothing donations for children of all ages.

The donations will benefit Genesis Women's Shelter and can be dropped off through Dec. 20 at UP City Hall, 3800 University Blvd.

The donation box is located just inside City Hall's 24-hour entrance.

Genesis Women's Shelter provides safety, shelter, and support for women who have experienced domestic violence, and raises awareness regarding its cause, prevalence and impact. Each year, the non-profit serves 1200 women and children at its emergency shelter, long-term housing facility, and non-residential counseling office.

For more information contact crime prevention officer Lita Snellgrove at 214-987-5374.

Katy Trail Extension, Bond Passage Help Push Loop Forward

Mockingbird pedestrian bridge connects to open spaces in Dallas. (Photo: Bianca R. Montes)

The Loop, a 50-mile circuit connecting Dallas’ major bike-and-pedestrian trails across the city, is one step closer to completion thanks to the passage of a nearly $262 million park and trail bond and the long-awaited opening of the Mockingbird Pedestrian Bridge.

Dallas leaders went for a ride across the multimillion-dollar bridge that runs from Mockingbird Station to the backside of the Highland Dallas hotel, at a ribbon-cutting ceremony in November.

The Perfect Christmas Gift?

December is really late fall in our fair city, so we’ll still be blowing leaves out of the yards while stringing whatever kind of lights you want to call them in the land of political correctness.

Whether it’s Hanukkah, or Kwanzaa, or Christmas, or some secular gathering, gifts will be exchanged: food, clothes, electronics, books, appliances, jewelry... something, depending on budgets and traditions.

Christmas Stroll Down Memory Lane

Artist remembers family and friends with decorations. (Photo: Jackie Torres)

“You can put anything on a tree,” artist Lyn McAden Roberts said, her slender fingers rustling an old handwritten note.

Written in blue, large and curled letters, the card turned Christmas ornament began, ‘Dear Ant [sic] Lyn …’