Category: Community

Esteemed Dallas Real Estate Marketer Dies

Catherine Chastain and her department at Dave Perry-Miller pose for a fun photograph at an awards ceremony party in 2016. Photo credit: Remington Reece

Catherine Chastain, a longtime member of the Park Cities and Dallas real estate marketing industry, passed away earlier this week.

Her memorial service and reception will be held at 1 p.m. Monday, Sept. 25, at Saint Michael and All Angels Episcopal Church, 8011 Douglas Ave.

HP Extends Pool Hours to Sept. 30

Friday is the first day of fall, but the outside temps feel more like early summer. Don't forget, the HP pool has an extended season until Sept. 30. Extended season is contingent on the water being at least 78 degrees.

Help After Harvey

ShedsofHope-54-WEB

Volunteers from several churches work at Davis-Hawn Lumber to build 15 Sheds of Hope. (Photo by Tricia Cochran)

As the Texas Gulf Coast suffered devastating blows from Hurricane Harvey, many Dallas area residents stepped up to help out fellow Texans.

While Dallas’ first shelter for Harvey evacuees – the Walnut Hill Recreation Center – has already opened and closed, there’s still plenty to do.

Donated items such as new socks and underwear, toiletries, feminine hygiene products, baby diapers, wipes, and formula, non-perishable food, and moving boxes are in top demand, says Trusted World, a local nonprofit that provides resources to people or organizations that provide services for those in need.

Autumn Arrives at the Dallas Arboretum

Photo courtesy: Dallas Arboretum

From Sept. 23 to Nov. 22, celebrate fall at the Dallas Arboretum and Botanical Garden's annual fall festival: Autumn at the Arboretum. This year's display highlights The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

SPCA Unveils Fur Ball 2017 Details

Photo courtesy: spca.org

The SPCA of Texas will present the Fur Ball 2017, “Reigning Cats and Dogs,” to be held Sept. 30 from 6:30 p.m. to midnight at the Omni Dallas Hotel.

The elegant, black tie gala will include dinner, dancing, and live and silent auctions for more than 1,000 guests.

Dallas Museum of Art Announces Art Ball 2018 Chair

Rebecca Enloe Fletcher

The Dallas Museum of Art (DMA) recently announced that local philanthropist Rebecca Enloe Fletcher will serve as chair of Art Ball 2018 and unveiled Horizon: Now. New. Next as the theme of the annual fundraiser, which will be held April 21 at DMA.

Flora Award 2017 Honors ‘Terrific Trio’

From left, Marilyn Waisanen, Bettye Slaven, and Janet Smith. Far right, Polish pianist Eva Brandys.

Nicknamed the ‘terrific trio,' Bettye Slaven, Janet Smith, and Marilyn Waisanen will be honored at the 2017 Flora Award Gala. The event benefits the Texas Discovery Gardens and Butterfly House in Fair Park.

Unplug for Vacation? No Way

“It would take the Amazon jungle instead of Santa Fe, New Mexico, to go unplugged.”

My goal this summer was to beat the heat, to unplug, and to have some refreshment and “re-creation” in New Mexico, but despite my best efforts to limit technology, it just can’t be done.

It would take the Amazon jungle instead of Santa Fe, New Mexico, to go unplugged.

Upon arrival in Santa Fe, I found myself at Target buying a new gizmo, the Tile, to hang on my keys so that my phone could ring my only pair, which I kept misplacing. Score one for technology.