Category: Community

America’s Pastor Dead at 99

President George W. Bush greets the Rev. Billy Graham. (White House Photo by Eric Draper Courtesy George W. Bush Presidential Library & Museum)

A great man, a humble servant, and a shepherd to millions has passed on – words from former President George W. Bush on the death of America's pastor the Rev. Billy Graham.

Frame Lands at Highland Park Village

A contemporary denim duo with a celebrity following has opened at Highland Park Village.

Frame, launched in 2o12 by Swedish duo Erik Torstensson and Jens Grede, opened its first Texas location this month at the upscale Park Cities shoppery – right where Diane Von Furstenberg used to be housed.

Debutants, Families Bond with Symphony and Community

The 32nd annual Dallas Symphony Orchestra League Presentation Ball on Feb. 17 featured three generations of involvement for the Duncan-Beutel family.

Nancy Duncan was a proud debutante mom to daughter Denise Duncan Beutel in 1991, and then together they co-chaired the Presentation Ball in 1996. This year granddaughter Caroline Beutel made her debut.

Dallas Opera Touts Unprecedented Casting

Mark Delavan will star as the Dallas Opera presents Verdi’s Falstaff for the first time. (Photo: Maxine Helfman for The Dallas Opera)

The forward-thinking life of the Dallas Opera’s music director comes with moments of confusion, such as when he’s planning future performances and someone asks what he’s doing next season.

“I know the titles we’re doing for 10 years, but then I don’t know what I’m doing next year,” Emmanuel Villaume explained on an afternoon in late January. “And I don’t know what I’m doing tomorrow.”

Highland Park Presbyterian Shifts Master Plan

The Hunt Building will be rebuilt to add parking garage, better flow. (Courtesy photo)

Highland Park Presbyterian Church has scrapped initial plans to demolish six adjacent rental homes near Shannon Lane to make way for a 350-spot underground parking garage.

Preliminary plans revealed last year also would have added 35,000 square feet to the campus and renovated interiors, but didn’t align well enough with the church’s long-term vision or deliver enough benefit for the money budgeted.

UP Not a Bike Dump

(Photo: Chris McGathey)

I am a typical middle school kid [and a member of Boy Scout Troop 70] who enjoys riding my bike, but my opinion of the bike sharing program is that it is bad for our community. If someone chooses to ride a bike through a bike sharing app, then what happens when they arrive at their destination? They have to leave it somewhere on public or private property, which is abandoning it.