Pettit Apologizes For Role in Racist Chant

Levi Pettit
Levi Pettit

By now, most of you have seen or heard at least part of the apology today from Highland Park High School graduate Levi Pettit for his role in a racist chant involving members of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity at the University of Oklahoma earlier this month.

Pettit’s decision to speak out comes more than two weeks after a disturbing video of the chant went viral and sparked outrage around the world. His parents previously apologized on his behalf shortly after Pettit was publicly identified in the video. He and another SAE member, Jesuit alum Parker Rice, were subsequently expelled from OU and the fraternity chapter was closed. The incident sparked protests both on and off the OU campus.

Pettit apologized as part of a press briefing involving religious and civil-rights leaders in Oklahoma, and pledges to work to promote cultural diversity in the future. At first glance, his poise is admirable and his words seem sincere. What do you think? Should Pettit be applauded for his efforts to promote healing, or does it feel like a PR stunt? Watch the apology here if you haven’t already.

Share this article...
Email this to someone
email
Share on Facebook
Facebook
Tweet about this on Twitter
Twitter
Share on LinkedIn
Linkedin

2 thoughts on “Pettit Apologizes For Role in Racist Chant

• March 26, 2015 at 10:35 am

It’s totally a PR stunt but it is a part of a necessary process that needs to start for him and others to heal.

• March 26, 2015 at 1:00 pm

I attended OU for one semester in the eighties and I can tell you that it just isn’t the SAE’s that were racists. ALL of the white fraternities were racists. And not just to blacks. I’m American Indian decent and they made my life total hell with name calling and absolutely no bids during fraternity rush. What’s funny about this situation is that most of the racism came from Texas students attending OU. Back then, if you were from Highland Park, that made you a God and everyone worshiped the ground you walked on. You were given bids to all the top houses even before they met you. I transferred to SMU and eventually pledged SAE. I never encountered that level of hatred again.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.