Ride DART, Save the Planet, Win a Gift Card

Yesterday we had an argument in the office. (A friendly discussion).

I take the DART to work every day, because I don’t have a car (I know, I know), but also because I believe in supporting public transport. It’s mostly the car thing.

One of our interns takes the DART, too, while another one refuses to. Unfortunately, her belief that the DART is a dangerous place was bolstered by our assistant art director, who witnessed a punch-out while riding the other night.

Now, DART has given us the perfect excuse to pigeon-walk our shy intern on at St. Paul Station to face her fears: the Bike to Work Challenge, running throughout the month of May.

The idea behind the challenge is to encourage people to bike and take the DART instead of driving. DART cites helping the environment, improving your health, and earning bragging rights as potential benefits to participating.

In case this isn’t incentive enough, they are also throwing in gift cards from Richardson Bike Mart worth up to $100 for the top three riders.

Eligible participants must be residents of DART cities – Addison, Carrollton, Cockrell Hill, Dallas, Farmers Branch, Garland, Glenn Heights, Highland Park, Irving, Richardson, Rowlett, Plano, and University Park – or have a work destination that begins with the “75” zip code.

This challenge, a first for DART, is the result of a partnership with the North Central Texas Council of Governments. To participate, you must log your daily commute activities at www.tryparkingit.com, a free website that helps you find alternate routes or commuting options to driving alone.

DART stations provide more than 140 bike lids so you can store your bicycle at the station. You can also bring it on the train or bus and show it off to other commuters on the bike racks. Bicycles are permitted on all DART vehicles, Trinity Railway Express trains, and the Dallas Streetcar. For more info: www.DART.org/bikes.

Help us show Dallas that our public transportation system is worth it. Think of our intern. Think of the polar bears.

Share this article...
Email this to someone
email
Share on Facebook
Facebook
Tweet about this on Twitter
Twitter
Share on LinkedIn
Linkedin

One thought on “Ride DART, Save the Planet, Win a Gift Card

• April 25, 2016 at 11:00 pm

There’s no “the” in DART. There is DART Rail, DART Bus, DART Paratransit (like there is Apple Phone, Apple Watch, Apple TV), but no The DART.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.